Saturday 19 October 2013

Best Books for a 1 Year Old

Okay, so I know I'm going to need to be a little more regular with my posts if anyone out there is going to read my ramblings! At the moment, it's all a little crazy with limited childcare and 2 jobs! Am holding out for after the half-term when our childcare will be back on track...

My little boy recently turned 1 and it's made me reflect on how time flys by so fast and how so much has changed. As the youngest of three, he's learnt to be patient and has such a happy, smiley personality. But I do feel an smidge of guilt that I haven't been able to spend as much one on one attention with him in his first year. I began sharing and reading books with my eldest at 3 months, starting with first black and white board books enjoying the cuddles and closeness that reading time would bring. And as I was so zombie like after the birth of DD2, the 3 of us would read books daily to encourage quiet time in my state of exhaustion! I'm hoping that my son will have soaked up our love of books via the overflowing bookshelves and I'm looking forward to sharing with him our favourite reads. 1 is such a great age to instil a love of reading of books so here's our list of books that have been tried and tested!

1) Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell - a classic lift-the-flap book. Ingeniously simple, kids will love to make all the animal noises!

2) Not a Box by Antoinette Portis - A small rabbit turns the humble box into a mountain, a rocket ship... Encourages the use of imagination in your little explorer.

3) Apple Pie ABC by Alison Murray - Lovely retro style illustrations are matched with a cunning use of the alphabet. A nursery classic.

4) Chick by Ed Vere - Bold colours and simple graphics make up this funny novelty book about a chick's day. We also love Ed Vere's Banana!

5) I Love My Mummy by Giles Andreae and Emma Dodd - perfect for bedtime... They might not be able to say it so this charming book does it for them! There's also a I Love My Daddy version

That's not forgetting all our other favourites for little ones; The Hungry Caterpillar, Usborne's That's Not My series, Emergency! & Roar! by Margaret Mayo, Mr Pusskins, Goodnight Gorilla... What are your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment